The Carolyn Pajamas are Closet Case Files make. I love the style of the Closet Case Files patterns so I know this will be the first of many! I wanted some options so I decided to make the the short sleeve top and pants and the shorts.
I got the fabric from Hellgate fabrics. I love that the fabric is so happy and that it gives off Japanese vibes. I ended up having way more fabric than I needed. I think this is because I simply added the amount I needed for the pants to the amount needed for the short sleeve top and shorts combo. I also cut the pieces in a single layer which takes up way less fabric.
I made the piping from some Kona cotton and cord I got at Joann’s. First I made the fabric in to bias tape and then sewed the piping in place using the tutorial on Closet Case Files. It’s a little stiff (I think due to the cord I used) but I think it will soften up with wear. This was my first time using piping and it was pretty fun and actually easier than I thought. I love the end result! I did find stitching over two layers of piping to be very difficult (especially for the pocket). Next time I’m going to try cutting the cord out of the seam allowance so the piping isn’t doubled up there.
I french seamed all of my seams, which wasn’t hard but took a while, mostly due to the amount of ironing required, but I love having no exposed seams on the inside.
The Pants: I cut a straight size 8 for the pants. I shortened the pants pattern by 1 1/2″ but ended up shortening them an additional 2 3/5″.
The Shorts: I cut and sewed a straight size 8. I didn’t shorten them at all- they probably could be shorter but I actually like the length.
The Top: I cut a size 2 at the shoulders and graded out to a size 8 at the hips. The top looks a little long so if I make these again I’d shorten the top by an 1 or 2.
I’ll definitely make these again but I’m thinking a nice warm flannel for next time!