Striped Mabel

IMG_4044

One of the things that I’ve been thinking about is how to use leftover fabric. I’ve been looking for patterns that are perfect for using up fabric but also make great wardrobe staples. The mabel skirt from Collette is the perfect pattern for a quick stash buster.

IMG_4054

I used the leftover fabric from my Closet Case Files Nettie Bodysuit. The fabric is a pointe knit. Its super squishy and thick enough for a skirt.

IMG_4079

The skirt ended up bing a pretty quick make – it came together in a couple of hours. Overall this is an easy pattern to incorporate in to any wardrobe and super comfortable so I’ll definitely be making more.

IMG_4077

Advertisements

Sophie Swimsuit

IMG_4191

I’ve been looking for an indie swimsuit pattern for a while but hadn’t found anything that I really loved. Then Closet Case Files came out with the Sophie Swimsuit and I knew it was the one. I love everything I’ve made by Closet Case Files and this make was no different. I also knew that if Heather can get me through making my first pair of jeans that I could trust her instructions to get me through my first swimsuit.

IMG_4179

I also knew that gathering all the supplies would take a lot of time and since I didn’t really know what to look for I went for the swimsuit kit that was available as part of the swimsuit release.

IMG_4200

When I ordered the swimsuit kit I was pretty confident that I was a size B but after actually measuring it turns out that I was a cup size 5. I followed the post by Cloth Habit on the Closet Case Files blog to fit the top.

IMG_4184

For the bottoms I used the size 10 at the hip and then graded to a size 8 at the waist. I also shortened the bottoms by 1 inch (I’m around 5′ 1″).

IMG_4192

I followed the instructions included with the pattern and it was pretty straight forward. Having never sewn swimwear or lingerie before it was a bit of an adjustment to get used to sewing the slippery fabric.

IMG_4197

I did have to recut the swimsuit bottom lining bottoms after a little situation with the serger where I accidentally cut in to the swimsuit bottom… After recutting the bottom lining it was pretty much smooth sailing.

IMG_4212

Gingham Alder Shirt Variation

IMG_4002

I bought this gingham fabric on a whim with no real plan for what I wanted to make. At first I thought about a scout tee but I ended up deciding on the alder shirtdress pattern but with a shirt variation. Luckily right after settling on that idea Jen came out with tutorial on how to alter the pattern for a shirt variation!

IMG_3997

Construction was very similar to the alder dress. I used version  A (the one without the A-line skirt). The lack of gathering helped this come together fairly quickly. I think I’ll try adding back a 1/2 inch to the length of the shirt since it feels just a tad short on me.

IMG_4009

I wore this shirt on a recent trip to Hawaii and it was perfect. The A-line top ended up being the ideal combination of breezy and summery while still being classy. I love this summery top and I’m hoping to wear it as much as possible for what is left of the summer. I also think this would work well in the fall with a cardigan.

IMG_4038