I’ve been looking for an indie swimsuit pattern for a while but hadn’t found anything that I really loved. Then Closet Case Files came out with the Sophie Swimsuit and I knew it was the one. I love everything I’ve made by Closet Case Files and this make was no different. I also knew that if Heather can get me through making my first pair of jeans that I could trust her instructions to get me through my first swimsuit.
I also knew that gathering all the supplies would take a lot of time and since I didn’t really know what to look for I went for the swimsuit kit that was available as part of the swimsuit release.
When I ordered the swimsuit kit I was pretty confident that I was a size B but after actually measuring it turns out that I was a cup size 5. I followed the post by Cloth Habit on the Closet Case Files blog to fit the top.
For the bottoms I used the size 10 at the hip and then graded to a size 8 at the waist. I also shortened the bottoms by 1 inch (I’m around 5′ 1″).
I followed the instructions included with the pattern and it was pretty straight forward. Having never sewn swimwear or lingerie before it was a bit of an adjustment to get used to sewing the slippery fabric.
I did have to recut the swimsuit bottom lining bottoms after a little situation with the serger where I accidentally cut in to the swimsuit bottom… After recutting the bottom lining it was pretty much smooth sailing.