This one actually may be my favorite one though! This lace just really speaks to me and I loved every second of working with it. It is just so beautiful and delicate but also a interesting color. This is yet another kit from the Tailor Made Shop.
I really like this lace – its definitely more fun than the other bras I’ve made so far. The orange elastic adds a bit more fun quirk to this bra. Eventually I might try dying notions so that everything actually matches but for now I’ve been loving the contrasting elastic and straps.
On past bras I’ve struggled with the lace and lining shifting around and not lining up. On this one I basted the lace to the lining with spray glue after attaching all of the pieces of the cup so that everything stayed lined up. Things were still a little shifty but it definitely helped a lot.
I’ve made so many Grainline Studio patterns that at this point it seemed like a little ridiculous that I hadn’t tried the Hemlock Tee considering that it is a free pattern!
I did, however make a few changes to the pattern. I started by shortening the font and back pieces by 2 inches which is what I typically do for all of my tops (I’m 5′ 1 1/2″). I then followed the Grainline Studio tutorial on the split hem variation. I shortened the front an additional inch and I used an inch and a half hem line. I also lengthened the sleeves and tapered them in at the wrists.
I used a sweater knit which I got from the imagine gnats shop. I love the fabric but the strings do get caught in my cats claws and I have to pull the threads in again with a crochet hook.
I actually finished this project a while back and I’ve gotten a bunch of wear out of it. I’m wearing it here just with rtw jean shorts but I typically wear this with leggings in slightly cooler weather. I’m excited for fall so I can start wearing this more often again!
These photos were taken on a camping trip in Door County, WI. I love camping there and this year we had great weather. I particularly loved all of the tiny bright colored things.
I made my first two Harriet Bras at Camp workroom social a last year and about a month after that I went on a bit of a bra making binge. These bras have all been done for a while but I recently got a dress form so I was inspired to actually photograph and blog them! The pattern is the Harriet Bra by Cloth Habit. I had enough fabric left over from my bras I made at camp that I was pretty sure I could get another bra out of it. I ordered two findings kits along with some additional underwires from Bra Makers Supply.
Since my nude colored bra that I made previously was more of a muslin I decided to start with making a nude colored bra first. Cutting out and sewing seemed to go a lot faster when I had access to my own cutting mat/rotary cutter and sewing machine.
One adjustment that I did made to my pattern was to reduce the amount of depth on my right upper cup. While I was at camp I removed some of the width from the cup but this made it deeper, which I didn’t particularly like. I traced the curve of my left cup on to my right cup so that they are approximately the same. Reducing the depth meant that my seam was going to be shorter so I would have to adjust the lower cup as well. I ended up only taking about 1/8 inch off of the inner cup and everything worked out fine.
Other than that I just tried to recreate the steps that I had done at camp. I used my muslin as a reference and wrote down the steps I could remember. At some points I had to go back and add some steps that I forgot but otherwise it went fairly smoothly. The only snag I ran in to was near the end when I went to sew my straps on. The strap elastic from the kit was way too short – and then I remembered that the strap elastic that Bra Maker Supply gives is only enough for a certain kind of strap that is partially made of fabric. I ended up ordering more elastic from Tailor Made Shoppe and putting this bra on hold.
While I was waiting for my strap elastic to come I went ahead and made a second bra. For this one I used a kit from Tailor Made Shoppe that I had ordered on a whim previously. This was the first time following this pattern where I wasn’t using the exact supplies that we had used in class. I was a little nervous about how everything would turn out especially since I had modified the pattern and if the adjustment didn’t work then I would have two bras that would have the same issue.
The other issue was that because this lace is much stretchier than the duoplex I would need to line the cups. I cut the upper cup out of lace only but I cut the outer cup, inner cup, bridge, and frame out of both lace and bra lining. I actually cut two lining pieces for the bridge to add stability.
The main difference with the construction for this was that I wanted the seams to be completely concealed between the lining and the lace. That changed the order of what I was sewing but ended up being about the same amount of time as just sewing an unlined bra. I sewed the outer cups and inner cups together in the lace and the lining and then I sandwiched the upper cup between the lining and the lace lower cup. I used a similar method for assembling the cradle. In the end I’m really happy with the way this turned out and I’ve been wearing it a ton!
Then, a couple of weeks later I was in a slump after struggling with another project so I really wanted to make a pattern that I had already made and one that was relatively quick – so I decided to make another bra! I made this bra basically in the same way that I made the second bra – only this time I had actual instructions since the Harriet Pattern had been officially released. Turns out – I did the second one right!
This is another Harriet Bra by Cloth Habit and another kit from Tailor Made Shop. I love the way that navy looks with the magenta – especially the little picots sticking out at the bottom.