Both of the fabrics definitely feel like something that you would find in a ready to wear garment. They are a bit thin and I’m not really sure how they will hold up over time. The real test will be how the fabric holds up after multiple wears/washes. Because this fabric is drapier than other fabrics I’ve used in the past it does seem to fit better in the shoulders though.
The first version is a v-neck out of this really wide striped %100 rayon jersey. The bottom stripe is dark navy which sort of gets lost when I’m wearing dark jeans. However – since I’m pear shaped I think having the dark navy at the bottom was the correct choice since there isn’t a bright giant stripe at the widest part of my body.
My next version was a fun bright “paprika” striped knit which is 97% Rayon and 3% Lycra. I love that the stripes are uneven and that some of them are not solid lines. I would say that the fabric is a bit brighter than my usual go-to fabrics but after a dreary and cold Wisconsin winter I am searching for some additional color in my life! I made the scoop neck version for this one with the cap sleeves.
Both of these shirts are so easy to wear – I can see myself wearing them a ton this spring! I typically don’t go for “cheap” fabrics (I got both of these on sale for $4/yard) but I couldn’t resist the fun stripes! Hopefully they will hold up over time…
SURPRISE! Its not sewing! To be honest these socks took me a long time to finish – somewhere between 6 and 9 months… I haven’t really been keeping track but its been way too long. I have also been very busy with other things during this time and not ONLY working on these socks. This is the Bavarian Cable Socks pattern from Socks from the Toe Up. I used Malibrigo Yarn Sock in the Impressionist Sky colorway.
This pattern has you do a lot of knitting through the back loop and at one point I got confused about how to knit normally – you can see across the arch where my knit stitches are all messed up. I also messed up some of my counting on the heel resulting in a small hole. I thought about trying to sew it up but I’ve decided it isn’t bothering me that much.
While I love the finished product I’m not super in love with this book. The bind off instructions are “bind off loosely”. For a book specializing in toe up socks I would expect a stretchy bind off with instructions. If I’m investing in a book I want it to be a true reference. (I ended up using the Interlock Bindoff.)
I think that my next project will be a sweater but considering how long it took me to make these socks I think a sweater will take years. Right now I think I’m going to make the Brooklyn Tweed Cascades pattern. Thankfully I’ll be using a worsted weight yarn and not fingering weight yarn though. For now I’ll leave you with one more picture of these socks since it will probably be years before my next knitting project is finished!
This was a pretty quick make. I finished all of the seams with french seams. I made bias tape from the same fabric for the neckline. Over all even though it is a fairly simple top I’m super happy with how it came out in part due to the clean finishes on the inside.
This is meant to be a boxy shirt so I think next time I’ll use a fabric with more drape for a softer look.
I also took this shirt on my trip over a year ago to Vietnam and Thailand. The Scout Tee is a great pattern for situations where you may need to have your shoulders covered (so many temples). I had never used double gauze before and I was hoping that this would be a super breathable top for the hot weather there. In some ways this was a great fabric because it hangs away from your body and is lightweight. However, I think the dark color was not a great choice and it does get quite wrinkly after being shoved in your backpack. If I was packing again I probably would leave this one at home.
I wore this to an elephant sanctuary in Thailand – one of my favorite things from my trip!
For Christmas I made my boyfriend the Dopp Kit from the Grainline Studio Portside Travel Set. I used a waxed canvas for the top half and ticking fabric for the inside. I used leather for the bottom half. I bought 2 12″ by 12″ squares of leather off of Etsy. My pattern pieces just barely fit on to the squares and in fact the handle didn’t quite fit but since I ended up not sewing inside out I didn’t actually need the seam allowance for the handle.
For the most part I didn’t run in to too many issues. I used a leather needle on my machine and a walking foot for the leather. I ran in to two areas that I had trouble with. Sewing over the zipper was a bit difficult as was stitching around the bottom of the bag. I’d recommend leaving out the stitching around the bottom of the bag step if you are using leather. I ended up taking it to work and sewing it there. (Advertisement: If you are making this bag and you do run in to issues on your home sewing machine you can take it in to your local cobbler and have them finish up the stitching for you. They probably have gotten much much weirder requests.)
I think this is the perfect gift because even though most people have some sort of travel bag for their toiletries it probably isn’t a bag that they really love. You also don’t need the person’s measurements and you don’t need to worry about fit.