I made the True Bias Lander Shorts and Nikko Top to take on my trip to Maui. The Lander Shorts were on my 2018 make 9 but the Nikko Top was a bit more of an impulse make since I wanted something that would look good with my shorts and Kelli just always looks so cute when she wears hers together. The Nikko Top was a super last minute make for the trip and it isn’t even hemmed in any of these pictures.
I honestly was very unsure that the lander pants/ shorts could work for me because of the wide leg and because I am such a pear shape. When I talked to Kelli she suggested starting with the shorts version! I have to say I think these are my favorite shorts that I’ve ever owned. They are roomy and comfortable while being stylish. I absolutely love them!
Having said that I did make a ton of pattern modifications. I started with the tissue fitting method that I learned at Camp Workroom Social. I love that you can get a pretty good fit without having to muslin and in the process you transfer all of your adjustments to the pattern. I also got the updated Palmer Pletch book on fitting and I’m excited to try this method on non-pants. I did shorten the rise significantly since I’m pretty short in the torso. I also shortened the pockets as well. Because this method has you cut a straight size from your hip measurement I did have to widen the darts just a bit. I added some curve to the waistband which meant that I had to cut two pieces instead of one piece that you fold over.
The Nikko Top was much simpler – I just graded out from a size 2 at the bust to a size 8 at the hips and shortened by 1 inch. I’m super happy with how it turned out though I’m definitely not sold on the turtle neck thing. I’ve never liked wearing turtle necks and having that much fabric around my neck. It will probably take some getting used to but this is the softest bamboo knit so I’m hoping it will be an easy adjustment.
I wore this outfit hiking around some waterfalls on Maui and it was a success! Unfortunately I spilled at least 3 things on my shorts that day and couldn’t wear them the rest of the trip! I know I will get a ton of use out of these this summer and they’ll be one of the first things I throw on after they get out of the wash.
Going to Hawaii was the perfect excuse to try sewing another swimsuit! I wanted to try a different pattern but I was a little frustrated with the lack of cute swimsuit patterns available. I previously made the Closet Case Patterns Sophie Swimsuit which I love. I just spent hours looking at different swimsuit patterns when Friday Pattern Company put a post on instagram that they were in the process of releasing a new swim suit pattern (the Vernazza two piece) – it seemed like fate!
I got all of my fabric and supplies from the fabric fairy. I absolutely love this fabric – it is a unique print and I’m always struggling to find floral knit fabrics that are realistic enough without being too cartoony, too cutesy or too feminine. I know – it is a pretty specific thing to want in a fabric but that is basically all I want in a fabric. With this fabric and white swimsuit lining this swimsuit fabric was opaque. I also added a layer of power mesh to help stabilize both the top and the bottom. I used quilting adhesive spray to temporarily attach my outer fabric to my powermesh and then I just followed the instructions, sewing the outer fabric/ powermesh as though it was one fabric. I also did add swim cups to the top for a little more modesty.
I struggled a bit with the fit in the top. I ended up taking 2 inches out of the shoulder straps after I had sewn everything together but I’m still not 100% happy with the shoulder straps. There is definitely extra fabric that gapes a little bit on the neckline. If I make this pattern again I’d definitely try to fix that.
Despite having so many issues with my attempts at making underwear I had no problems with the bottoms of this swimsuit! I did add swimsuit elastic to the waistband of these, which I think was necessary. I think I actually like these bottoms better than my Sophie bottoms. At some point in this trip wearing the Sophie bottoms felt a bit baggy and heavy in comparison. It is possible that I need to size down next time I make the Sophie but I also think having the extra seams in the bottoms does weigh it down a bit.
I also did mess up sewing the lining in the top back a little but I decided I was ok with it and not to fix it. If it looks like there is extra bagginess on the outer fabric of my top back that is entirely my fault and has nothing to do with the pattern drafting!
I actually really loved wearing this swimsuit on this trip. I was never worried about a wardrobe malfunction. I do think the high waisted bottoms are making me look a bit bottom heavy. It doesn’t help that I am a pear shape and made an XS top and M bottoms. Next time I might try making a regular style and high waisted style bottom so I have more options.
I made this dress using the Ogden Cami from True Bias. I followed this tutorial on her blog to make the dress version. The fabric is from Indie Sew but unfortunately it looks like it is out of stock/ discontinued. I actually really liked working with this fabric. Because it is a rayon crepe it is super drape-y but not quite a slippery as other rayons. It is pretty thin while still being opaque enough to make an unlined dress.
In these pictures I’m wearing the dress with a belt to create a little more waist definition but I can definitely see myself wearing the dress both with and without a belt this summer. This dress is one of the most comfortable things I’ve ever worn!
Per usual I love the back of the ogden cami and in this super soft drape-y fabric I love it even more! If you want to see my previous ogden cami makes you can check out my Black and White Ogden Cami as well as my post on three other Ogden Camis I made using scraps leftover from other projects.