Anna Dress/ Burnside Bibs Mash Up

Last week I posted about the dress I made that I was originally planning to wear to a wedding. When I found out that I needed to wear sage green to the wedding it was clear that I needed a plan B. Since I was already almost done making the Eve Dress I didn’t want to make that pattern again just in a different fabric. I ended up getting a linen viscose blend in ocean mist (not exactly sage but I got approval from the bride) from blackbird fabrics to wear to the wedding so I wanted make something that would suit the fabric. I also don’t wear a lot/ any sage green and I also don’t go to many weddings so I was feeling a bit out of my comfort zone for what to make. I wanted to make something that would be fun to wear and be a bit unexpected. I decided I wanted to make a jumpsuit.

fullsizeoutput_1b05.jpeg

After looking at jumpsuit patterns I didn’t see any patterns that were exactly what I wanted. I really liked the fit in the legs of my burnside bibs and I had also recently made the By Hand London Anna Dress and was really happy with the fit in the bodice of that dress so I decided instead of starting from a whole new jumpsuit pattern I would mash up two patterns that I had recently made.

fullsizeoutput_1b0a

Needless to say this was a lot more difficult than I thought it would be. I knew the biggest issue would be getting the waistline on the pants to match up with the waistline on the bodice. Because the burnside bibs are gathered up in the tie in the back there is definitely more fabric than you actually would want in a jumpsuit. When I went to line it up the waistline on the bodice back was actually longer than the waistline on the back of the bibs pants. I spent a long time trying to get all of the seams to match up. The bibs front also needed to be extended up since part of the bib actually meets the back. Since I was getting rid of the bib I had to add length to the front above the crotch to make sure that the front and back legs were the same length.

fullsizeoutput_1b0b

At this point you might be thinking “… but this clearly is not sage green”. You are correct. This is just my wearable muslin of my jumpsuit made out of some Robert Kaufman Brussels washer linen I had sitting around for a while. As this was my first version there are definitely changes I want to make for my next version. The front crotch length is a bit too long, which also makes the hip point too low so there are drag lines there as well. Additionally I don’t really like the proportions of how high the pants come up. I would probably draft a waistband piece to go between the bodice and pants to visually create a line across my body at that point.

fullsizeoutput_1b07

Coming up probably next week will be the end result of what I actually ended up making to wear to the wedding!

One thought on “Anna Dress/ Burnside Bibs Mash Up

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s