I spent about two months stressing over what I would wear to a wedding in August. After my first dress idea fell through because I didn’t realize that I needed to wear sage green and my wearable muslin of my Anna Dress/ Burnside bibs mash up didn’t feel quite right I really was procrastinating on making a final decision. Part of my issue was that I had too many ideas and I just couldn’t figure out which one to go with. Since I don’t wear a lot of sage green and sage green isn’t necessarily a color that I get excited about I wanted to make something a little bit unexpected. I ended up making a spreadsheet of every idea that I was considering and then I made my boyfriend rank them in order and I ranked them in order and then I added our rankings together and the Closet Case Patterns Amy Jumpsuit won! I honestly wasn’t considering the Amy Jumpsuit until the day I put the spreadsheet together but when I went through and compared all of my options the Amy Jumpsuit was actually my number 1 choice. It definitely had the unexpected element but also was a great match for the fabric which is a linen viscose blend.
The other reason why this was a great match was that I really procrastinated to the last minute and I only had 2 weeks to make my outfit. I knew the jumpsuit would come together quickly and since it is loose fitting I totally skipped the muslin phase which would have been necessary with a more fitted dress or jumpsuit. Despite this I was a little bit worried about the fit. The instructions say that the jumpsuit is very loose fitting in the hips so unless your hips are more than 3 sizes larger than your bust you do not need to grade between sizes. My hips are more like 6 sizes larger than my bust so I wasn’t really sure whether I should grade out. In the end I ended up cutting out a size 0 at the bust, 2 at the waist and 4 at the hips. Since my hip measurement was 3 sizes larger than the size 4 I figured that would give me plenty of room without going overboard. I also shortened the waist 1/2″. After the jumpsuit was finished I ended up cutting 1″ off of the hem and then folding the hemp up 1/4″ and then 1/2″, which is a slightly larger hem than the pattern is drafted for. I’m 5’2″ and definitely would have expected to need to shorten the jumpsuit a lot more so if you are taller you may want to add length or make a muslin.
I love how the jumpsuit came out and I feel like its definitely something that I can wear again and dress down for a more casual look. The fabric is the Viscose Linen Noil in Ocean Mist from Blackbird Fabrics. The jumpsuit wads super comfortable to wear and definitely the right choice for the outdoor wedding.
By the time I had picked out which pattern I wanted to make and gotten the pattern printed I basically had one weekend to get this done. Luckily it came together super quickly and I even had time to make my boyfriend a tie. It was my first time making a tie and I used a free pattern. I can’t say that I would recommend that pattern though so I won’t mention which one because it was a bit wonky and the pattern pieces didn’t line up quite right. If I decide to make a tie in the future I’d definitely spend money on a pattern and eliminate the headache.
I am in the middle of eating a cracker in this picture and you can definitely tell but I have no regrets.