So… this is my 100th blog post which is bananas! I like documenting the things I’ve made but I’m also running out of free photo storage on wordpress and I’m not sure that I want to pay to have a blog. I would still document the things I’m making on instagram and take more notes in a journal or just on my personal project tracking spreadsheet. I should look in to the options and maybe re-upload some of my earlier photos in a more compressed size before I do anything too drastic.
This is my fifth time making the Archer Shirt by Grainline studio but this one is a bit different from my previous versions. In the past I made a green and navy plaid flannel version (which was the second thing that I ever blogged and probably one of my most worn makes!), a chambray dot version, a white and grey plaid flannel popover version and a red flannel version. This is the first version where I’ve done any hacking. The most obvious change I made was to lengthen to a dress. I added a bunch of length and flared it out starting at the waist to make sure I would have enough room in my hips. I ended up taking it in a bunch in the hips after basting the side seams because I went a little overboard when adding extra room.
I left the dress a midi length with a lower hem in the back than the front which I think looks modern and cool but may not be the most flattering on, especially with these boots. I also made a belt to wear with it which gives some waist definition. For the belt I just used the belt from the Closet Case Patterns Amy Jumpsuit which I had used before with my actual Amy Jumpsuit. Just like my actual Amy Jumpsuit I had to add a seam at the back of the belt because there was just no way that I was going to be able to cut that as all one piece.
The other change I made to this pattern was to hack the pockets to give them more of a military vibe to go with the army green fabric. I used the same pattern piece as the original archer pattern but I added two inches to the width. I then just folded the pocket in half and sewed one inch from the folded edge. Then when you lay the pocket flat and iron it then it creates the pleats on the front pocket. I basted those down at the top and bottom and then continued with the pattern as directed. For the flap I just used the width of the original pocket and then just made it as long as I wanted it to overlap plus seam allowance.
The fabric is tencel twill from Blackbird Fabrics. I originally bought this fabric a while ago with the intention of making an Archer button up with these pockets but I just sat on the idea for a long time. I finally decided to do it but I realized I had enough fabric for a dress length version. I honestly feel like I would get more wear out of a shirt than the dress (in part because its really cold in Wisconsin and I’m not wearing a lot of dresses right now). I figure I can always change my mind later and make it in to a shirt. But if I made the shirt, it would be much harder to make in to a dress later if I changed my mind.
I’m super happy with how this turned out – especially the pockets! They ended up being pretty easy to put together and I’m excited to have another long sleeve dress since I don’t have many.