I’ve been wanting to find/ make a pair of black and white pants out of a woven material that would be super easy to travel in. In February I went to Thailand, Vietnam and Cambodia in February and it seemed like the perfect time to finally make these pants I’ve been wanting for years! Ladies need to have their legs covered in a lot of temples especially in Cambodia and Thailand so I knew these would be very useful.
I used a rayon because it is breathable and because the fabric if lightweight which is good for tropical climates and for packing purposes. I had this fabric for a while from Stonemountain & Daughter fabrics. I’ve been holding on to it but I didn’t really know what to do with it. I originally had thought of making a dress but it ended up being the perfect choice for these pants.
The pattern is the True Bias Hudson pants. The pattern is originally meant for knits but I followed the tutorial to make these out of a woven. I went up three sizes which ended up being way too large. I ended up taking in the legs quite a bit because they were so big. However, I already put the waistband on and it took a couple of passes to make sure all of the fabric was caught so I did not want to unpick/ redo the waistband. I ended up taking the pants in quite a bit at the ankles and tapering up to the original size at the hips.
On my trip I wore these multiple days in a row to go to temples or just to get breakfast in. My favorite combo was these pants with this yet to be blogged Lark tee.
I LOVE being warm. I live in Wisconsin so layers are key. I love feeling cozy which generally means wearing sweatshirts. I love this new cardigan because it gives you the cozy feeling without adding a ton of bulk and still showing off your outfit and looking cute. This is the Blackwood cardigan from Helen’s closet with the Ogden cami from True Bias. I met both Helen and Kelli at Camp Workroom Social last fall and they are both so sweet and talented. Helen wore an early version of the Blackwood Cardigan at camp and I’ve been wanting to make it ever since!
I ended up grading from a size small at the bust to a size medium in the waist/hips. At first I wasn’t sure if I wanted to grade up for the waist/hips since the pattern is open in the front and thus would be fairly forgiving. However, since the cardigan is a slim fit I decided to get go ahead and grade out. In the end I’m glad I did because the fit is really great! I also shortened the sleeves by two inches. The sleeves are meant to be long and cover your hands for an extra coziness.
I used a crimson sweater knit from Fashion Fabrics club for this. It was my first time ordering fabric from there – they have a huge selection of fabric on their website and this fabric was exactly what I had been wanting to use. This is 97% cotton and 3% lycra. When I bought this fabric they were having a sale so it was only $3.95/yard. I ended only spending $7.90 on fabric for this cardigan. Also- so far the fabric seems like it is pretty good quality and it is super soft. Most of the time the things I make would be way cheaper if I just bought them in the store but not this time! I’m definitely willing to spend more on fabric especially if I know it was sourced ethically, etc but when you find the exact fabric you wanted and its super cheap I’m not going to say no!
This cardigan went together fairly quickly. I actually really loved sewing this up with my serger since the majority of the seams end up intersecting with other seams, which left very few loose serger thread tails to deal with at the end. I love the hem band, the sleeve cuffs, the length, the pockets. I can’t think of anything I’d change on this cardigan. The one thing I’d do differently next time is take more time in the zig zag stitch around the front band. I rushed through that bit and it ended up slightly wavy in some places.
The Ogden cami was also a super quick sew. My least favorite part of most sewing projects is cutting out the fabric. Since there aren’t a ton of pieces and none of the pieces are super fiddly this may be my very favorite pattern to cut out. For this one I just stuck with the size that matched my bust measurement since it didn’t seem like I would need extra room at the hips.
I used a rayon poplin that I got from Stonemountain & Daughter Fabrics. I love the drape on this fabric and also the that it is completely opaque. I also love this print – it makes such a great basic cami that is interesting but also easily paired with other things.
The deep v in the back adds more interest to this cami. This is such a good pattern – I want to make a ton more for summer!It is super flattering and easy to pull off. I already have some more versions planned. This pattern is also very versatile – tons of people have been adding gathered peplums and Kelli has a some hacks for making this in to a dress.