Bra Making at CWS

In October I learned how to make bras at Camp Workroom Social! I took a class taught by Cloth Habit on how to make underwire bras using her upcoming bra pattern.I had previously made two soft bras from Madalynne and also the Sophie Swimsuit from Closet Case Files so I had a little experience with underwires and hooks and eyes but not a ton.


This is the Harriet Bra by Cloth Habit, which we got to make before the pattern was actually released! We started by making a muslin out of a nude fabric. We also used black thread which helped me see what I was doing for this first test bra. This bra fits way differently than I was used to. The band is much tighter – I definitely need to wear it on the longest hook. This bra is made mostly from duoplex which is super supportive but not very beautiful.img_4299img_4291img_4290

The muslin fit fairly well and is definitely wearable. The changes I made for the second bra were to lower the bridge a bit and also take out a little room from the top of my right cup. I love the amount of support I get from this bra and it definitely feels different from any bra I’ve worn before. It is just a tad uncomfortable because the band is so much tighter than I’m used to but that should stretch out over time.


Also – for those of you who don’t know what Camp Workroom Social is it is basically a sewing camp for adults! You sign up for a class you are interested in and learn how to do that over a 4 day weekend in the Catskills of New York at the Frost Valley YMCA camp. I met a ton of incredible and talented people. Sewing is usually a solo activity and it was really refreshing to be around other people who love sewing as much as I do. The setting was also beautiful and I got to go on several lovely hikes. Overall it was an incredible experience and I can’t wait to see what classes they offer next year.


First Two Madalynne Soft Bras

I made two Madalynne bras! I don’t wear many soft bras normally so this is a little bit out of the norm for me but also fills a bit of a hole in my wardrobe.

The first bra I made was the Sierra (free pattern!). I used this amazing watermelon lace from Tailor Made that I completely love. The bottom of band hangs away from the body a bit so next time I might try adding some elastic to the bottom edge as well.

Then I made the halter version of the Simplicty 8228. I was excited to see this since I really love a similar Madalynne bra (the Edie Evelyn) that is just so pretty. I also got this as a kit with the lace, lining, elastic, and hook and eye from the Tailor Made shop.